The authentic Vietnamese cafe-style Phin filter makes one cup of exquisitely brewed coffee at a time and is the ideal way to enjoy Southeast Asian coffee.
Not only does the mighty Phin brew a great cup of coffee, but it’s also one of the easiest coffee-makers around. The actual brewing process is extremely simple and takes less than five minutes start-to-finish.
The flavor obtained from these small and inexpensive brewers is incomparable.
No paper filters needed, but we do sell filters in our listings that offer a cleaner taste.
No big machine setup or cleaning needed to brew a simple cup of delicious coffee.
HOW TO MAKE VIETNAMESE ICED COFFEE USING A PHIN FILTER
1. Prep Glass – Add 2 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk to your 8-ounce glass then place the Phin over glass.
2. Prep Phin- twist-off filter plate from the phin chamber and add 3 tablespoons of ground coffee. Gently shake the phin to evenly distribute the coffee grounds.
3. Insert filter plate – Twist on the filter plate until it is pressing against the ground coffee. Don’t twist it in too tightly!
4. Steep – Add 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) of hot water into the phin to allow the coffee grounds to bloom (expand) for 30 – 40 seconds.
5. Brew – Fill phin 3/4 full with hot water (about 4 oz of hot water). Place the lid on top of the Phin.* Your coffee will begin to drip slowly into your cup. Allow 4-5 minutes for the coffee to brew.
6. Serve – Stir thoroughly with a spoon then fill the cup with ice. Enjoy!
FOR THE ULTIMATE COFFEE EXPERIENCE, HERE ARE OUR TIPS FOR BREWING OUR PERFECT VIETNAMESE COFFEE
Boil your water temperature to around 185°F to 195°F
Twist the filter plate firmly into your ground coffee, but do not tighten the filter plate
– If it’s too tight, the water will not be able to brew through
– Your coffee grounds need space to bloom (expand)
If the coffee is dripping too quickly from the phin, it means your filter plate is not firmly in place
– It is okay to slowly pour the water out of the phin to tighten your filter plate. Just add hot water again!
If the coffee is not dripping from your phin, it means you twisted your filter plate too tightly into the ground coffee
– To fix this, you can slowly pour out the water from your phin and readjust your plate filter by loosening it. Then add new hot water to your phin chamber.
If you are lactose intolerant or want to try something new, opt for sweetened condensed coconut milk. It’s delicious!
There are no reviews yet.